L-R, Founder Frank Tresierras with sons, Richard (11 yrs. old) and Daniel, (19 yrs. old) circa 1945.
L-F Richard with older bother Daniel circa 1947.
Richard making a delivery circa 1948.
The Tresierras Story
Tresierras Supermarkets was founded in 1944
by Francisco and Pilar Tresierras in San Fernando, CA. After having moved from Santa Paula to San Fernando, Francisco and Pilar noticed that the Latino community in the San Fernando Valley was dramatically underserved so they set out to bring the products that “The Valley’s” burgeoning Latino population was looking for. While their two oldest sons Frank and Daniel were serving in the US Army and US Navy respectively, during WWII, Francisco and Pilar opened the first Tresierras Market on Kalisher St. in San Fernando, CA.
The store was originally called “Frank’s Market;” named after Francisco Tresierras. With the help of their 10-year-old son Richard, their three daughters, and a handful of devoted employees, Frank’s Market soon outgrew the small San Fernando location and in 1947, Francisco and Pilar relocated their store to Pacoima, CA. A new change called for a new name; it was then that Francisco and Pilar renamed the store Tresierras Market.
In 1958, Francisco and Pilar’s three sons, Daniel, Richard and James took over the day-to-operations of the store and together, succeeded in growing the business. Over the years, the brothers opened more stores and as the stores grew in size, the name changed once again, to what it is today: Tresierras Supermarkets. Tresierras Supermarkets currently operates 4 full-service Latino supermarkets in Ventura and Los Angeles counties.
Our Weekly Ad, 1950